Friday, December 7, 2012

Talky Talk

So it's 2am and I should be asleep but I just came from your room putting you back to sleep after being up from midnight till now (tummy issues woke you up).  I'm declaring 12/7/12 the day that I make myself write down everything I say I'm going to write down here.  There is SO much that I forget to write down.

From about 1am till at least 1:45am I laid on this couch and listened to you talk.  For the whole time NON STOP.

You started naming your stuffed animals.  Then all the members of your family and then a lot of the kids in your class and then went off to stories about the kids in your class and then at one point you were saying the little polls that you do at the beginning of class.  "Cat or Dog.  Which one? Dog.  Put the coin in the jar.  Good job Aria"  (verbatim) and then at point you were doing open or closed.  "Door.  Open or closed? Window.  Open or closed?"  And honestly just on and on you talked.  Selfishly, I didn't go in there and encourage you back to bed like I could have.  I just sat out here listening to you go on and on.

When you first started speech, they asked us what our short term goal was for you and we said for us to be able to have conversations with you and we do that now.  Which makes me insanely happy.

The other night you had a nightmare and Dad went in to lay with you and you were doing a small version of what you did tonight - just nonstop talking - and even though it was like 3am there Dad was just having this conversation with you like it was 9am.  And just like tonight I laid on the couch and listened to you and him talk.  Both of us are still in the "love having conversations with you" phase so we do it no matter what the time is.

Now as Dad would point out, you talk SO much more to me than anyone else and I sincerely hope that changes soon.  It is a little bit.  You are definitely talking more to Dad and Grandma and hopefully at school too.  But mostly I would like you to start showing off your talking skills to other people so they don't think I'm nuts when I say how you said this really long cool sentence.  Not that they don't believe me, but they just wish they could hear it.

You talk in sentences and you use "I" instead of "Aria" much much more these days.  And you answer my questions with an answer that doesn't include any of the question I asked you.  You initiate conversations and you verbalize your feelings (usually a "I don't want to) all the time.
And because it's super late/early all of that makes me really emotional.  When you want something to happen so badly and then it starts to,it's a really great feeling.  I know that it was a lot of work on your part and I'm so proud of you that I can't even describe it.

Let's just try to keep all that talking between the hours of 8am-8pm though.


No comments:

Post a Comment