Saturday, September 8, 2012

Preschool: Week One

You survived the first week!  (And really by "you" I mean me.) You are still adjusting and transitioning to preschool life.  I mean I'll be honest this week was rough for me - today especially.  You started crying when we waited to go into the classroom and it just escalated till I made myself leave.  You just looked so sad and it just breaks my heart.  I know each day will get better and better but its hard to not be affected by your intense reaction.

 Rationally, I get it.  You (everyone, really) have to work through this uncomfortable confusing space to grow as a person.  Could I pick you up and take you home and squeeze you all day?  Sure.  But that wouldn't be helping you grow.  But honestly emotionally it takes everything inside to not do just that when I see you so upset.  I mean for the last 3 and half years I have been able to control your surroundings and every detail of your life (to a certain extent) and now I'm helpless in a sense and that adds to my already high level of anxiety.  I haven't learned the fine art of separating your emotions from my own and truth be told I don't know if I ever will.  It just kills me to see you struggling and I can't wait till its over. I'm sure week 7 will be all roses and rainbows, right?  RIGHT?!!!

But enough of all that.  Let's talk highlights of week 1.

You painted this awesome picture!!!
You seem to really like your teachers.  And yesterday, you sat next to a little boy.  Sharing space with a stranger little boy - huge for you. You are progressing in the group stuff too with now getting closer to the actual circle.

You love Grandma picking you up.  All that concern for nothing.  Story of my life.  "Grandma pick up from school?".  (How's that for talking?  Pretty good, right?)

You took all the chaos of a dance/birthday party in stride today.  I love that you wore the adorable little hat and blew that little noise maker for like an hour once you got home.  And that you took all the noise and craziness of a birthday party in without completely losing your shit.

One day at a time.




 On to week 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment